A Systems Integration Project
Numina Group’s Automated Fulfillment Solution Optimized the Entire Order Fulfillment Operation by Reducing Labor, Increasing Throughput, and Managing the Critical Same Day Priority Shipments.
Challenge: Due to significant growth, Merit Medical, a major medical and surgical supply manufacturer headquartered near Salt Lake City, Utah moved into a new distribution center in Virginia, doubling the size of their previous East Coast location. Continuous growth was limiting Merit’s ability to get orders out on time. They were forced to add overtime hours and temporary employees but still could not meet demand.
Solution: Numina Group helped Merit Medical replace its single order pick to paper process with advanced technology. This process included integrating Numina Group’s RDS Real-time Distribution Software to manage and enforce better pick, pack, and ship processes. This project was implemented with minimal downtime or interference to Merit’s normal operations.
Results: The results were better processes and technologies that optimized the entire order fulfillment operation by reducing labor, increasing throughput, and successfully managing the critical same day priority shipments. Picking Accuracy rose to 99.99%.
Integrating automated pick, pack, and ship processes yielded substantial savings and quickly justified the investment. Merit medicals investment in Numina Group’s voice directed pick, pack, and ship automation throughout the entire fulfillment operation resulted in a rapid ROI.
Steps to Increase Picking Productivity:
- Replace single order picking with batch picking based on priority and work demand
- Pick orders simultaneously across the entire warehouse in a combination of the following zones:
- Fork truck cart picking
- Case pick to conveyor
- Pick to tote
- Pick to pallet
- Full pallet picking
- VNA vehicle picking
- Pickers visit a location fewer times per shift by Batch Picking different order types simultaneously
- Incorporate Voice Picking technology to improve accuracy to 99.99% and take steps out of the operation
- Apply a unique order specific barcode label with lot serial number for tracking and conveyor routing
Lower Labor costs with Pack and Ship Automation:
- Put to light order consolidation for repacking to save time in the picking process and lower shipping costs
- Add in-line Scan-Weigh-Dimension and Manifesting – cartons are scanned and weighed using an inline scale, then measured for their precise dimensions using a dimensional scanner
- Print and apply labeling system –automates the shipping manifesting, labeling, and application of the packing sheet.
- LTL order Fulfillment Pallet build
- Cartons convey and are sorted to the carrier trailer loading lanes
Numina group’s system integration project helped Merit Medical:
- Increase Productivity
- Double Order Volume
- Eliminate Errors
- Reduce Delivery Time
- Lower Labor Costs
- Eliminate Overtime
- Maintain Current Staffing Levels
- Plan for Future Growth
To learn how we can help you achieve better processes and a rapid ROI, fill out a contact us form.